Entrevista Com Carbon Based Lifeform (cbl)

perception

It is not needed to say what is CBL and what they are doing, so here you are what we have asked them and of course what they have answered us:

1. Hi Daniel and Johannes, how are you?

Hi! We are fine thanks

2. Tell me something about you and your past?

We met in 9th grade and became the best of friends a couple of months later, getting into a lot of music, videogames, movies and comic books, typical semi-geeks in the 90’s…

3. How did you get keen on that music? Did you discover this music by yourself, or some friend engaged you?....

We got introduced to music making by Mikael Lindquist (aka: Tony Montana, Oxygenial, Digidroids etc.).

He made music on his Amiga using a very basic audio sequencer named Fasttracker. So we joined forces with him forming the tracker group “Bassment Studios”. After a few years of tracking we moved on to MIDI and sequencers and formed a group called Notch.

With Notch we explored most of the genres of electronic dance music. We had quite a big impact on various sites around the web and despite various discussions with a lot of different labels we only released a remix of Mourning Afters – “What would you think” (Swedish synthpop, released on pulsewave records)

4. There are a lot of styles all around the world, why did you picked up Ambient and start making music in Ambient style?

We really fell in love with the genre after Johannes sister randomly had picked up a copy of Solar Quests “Orgship” (still one of our absolute favorite ambient records).

After listening to that record for a few months we felt we needed to make something similar. So we made a few chilled out tracks under the moniker Notch but we soon realized that we would like to make more, which lead to the forming of Carbon Based Lifeform, focusing only on drones, chill-out and ambient.

5. What are CBL doing when are not making music?

Drinking beer, hanging out with our girlfriends and buddies. Daniel’s still in to movies and Johannes is still in to videogames :-)

6. Do you like meeting friends, or just chilling in your own company?

See 5 We love to met up with friends having a beer or a great barbeque, usually both. :-)

7. What other music style do you like, and do you have some favorite artists?

Big question, we listen to almost all types of music.

8. How did CBL get into Ultimae Record, tell us something interesting, hot and funny :P about working with Ultimae.

We met Magnus Birgersson (Solar Fields, H.U.V.A Network, Ixtlan) when the three of us went to a school of multimedia. As a school project we formed a group called T.S.R, making music for the annual school exhibition. It was around this time Magnus formed Solar Fields (then electric universe). He also put his music on the web and was soon discovered by Ultimae Records.

When he went to Ultimae to master his first album he brought our demo with him and played if for them and they, fortunately, liked what they heard and put M.O.S. 6581 and Metrosat 4 on Fahrenheit Project 3.

When we went there to master our album there was this strange dude with us in the studio, he had a koala puppet on one hand and a lot of opinions on the mastering. We were too tired from mastering the whole day and everyone was talking French so we didn’t catch his name. Later we realised that he was Koala from Jaia

9. Now something serious, do you think there are extraterrestrial intelligence, do you have SETI@home on your PC.

Sure there is :-)

Johannes: I do, at work…:-)

11. Now really serious. What was CBL in the early ‘90’s and what will be in the end of 2010. What changed in you during time?

When we formed CBL in the 90’s, we were very inspired by Solar Quest and FSOL and a lot of what we did was figuring out what they had done and trying to make that ourselves.

When we did Hydroponic Garden we had moved past that but there was still a lot of experimenting. Now we feel we are a little bit more experienced and we do a lot of things without even thinking about it. Which has both good and bad sides; the sound is better now but it’s harder to be creative…

With our current production pace we hopefully have our third album out by 2010 ;-)

12. There must be some hard times in your history. Have you ever thought about breaking? Oh my god, don’t do that!!! ?

Well, we weren’t sure that there were ever going to be a second album.

Since we really liked what we did with Hydroponic we felt we had accomplished our goal, but about a year (and quite a lot of fan-mail) later we felt that we had try and do a follow up :-).

However Johannes had a really bad year in ‘04 and Daniel in ’05, but we stayed together as brothers, which probably held us together in a way.

13. Daniel, can you tell us something more about your solo project – Sync24, what can we expect! Also, I know that after the promo of your new CBL album you will record your first solo album, tell us something about it?

After CBLs first album I found myself in the studio late at night writing ambient tracks that didnt really sound like CBL. The CBL sound is us two together. So I thought Id use the tracks in a new solo project.

You can expect a very soothing album. More like Ishq and Biosphere than CBL or Solar Fields. I wrote the album for me really. To have something I really like and can relax to.

But you are of course welcome to listen as well :-)

14. When you will come to Bulgaria? For a beer and some live performances?

Whenever you invite us :-)

15. What do you think about other artist such as Asura , Cell, Aes Dana, Tripswitch, Solar Fields? Do you keep in touch or every one is separated in his own world!

They’re all crap! Hehehehe, no seriously, very talented people obviously.

We meet Solar Fields more often since we live in the same town. And the others we meet occasionally on festivals.

16. Do you like “sweet talks” with your fans, and especially female fans :P ?

Yeah we love it :-) sadly it’s the completely wrong style of music if you like a lot of female groupies ;-)

We answer all emails and other private messages in forums etc.

It’s a wonderful way to get feedback, even though it’s mostly the people who like the music who bother writing :-) People tell us how they experience our music in ways we could never dream of. So please keep sending them :-)

17. What do you think about the current state of Ambient scene, is there future, do people like it or it is wiped by other styles?

We feel it’s a growing scene; there is definitely a need for this kind of music. Or maybe we just feel that way because we’re in the middle of it. :-)

Hopefully people who generally listen to other styles discover that Ambient is a very rewarding genre.

18. What are your dreams?

Most of our dreams, music wise, has come true, both with CBL and our other projects. So now we have to form new dreams like scoring a film etc :-)

19. And last question of freaked out young fan of yours! How did you manage to win the hearts of your listeners?

It’s cliche but we just did what we wanted to listen to ourselves, and luckily it turned out that there are at least a few people out there who happen to like the same things as we do :-)

Finally:

Thank you for the interview!

And a big ”thank you” to all the people who listen and support us!

Stay tuned for the second transmission, coming soon :-)

CBL

Interview taken by: ZawHeR

http://radio.powernet.bg/index.php?option=...01&Itemid=2

(Trata-s de uma rádio on-line de psychedelic chill out e com uma seccao de entrevistas onde tem a de CBL)

Does the set of all those sets that do not contain themselves contain itself?

Já agora qual foi a fonte? :)

É aquela grande na parede (Já não há delas como antigamente) -_-

20060516025831.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: xiba-te lá paaaaahhhhhh!!!

Fica sabendo que há delas sim :rolleyes::lol::D

^_^ gostei mto da entrevista...inspirou-me :wink:

Se queres que a Vida te Sorria, que tal começares por sorrir...?!?

Obrigado, não conhecia. :)

Já agora conheces algum site do género só de chill out? Com entrevistas, reviews, actualidade...?

"Só os que procuram o absurdo atingem o impossível."

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I am happy to see a thread about a interview that out team has taken :)

I will be also happy to see the source writen in the main post :)

Respect!:)

sure, no problem :)

and by the way... nice work with "Powernet Radio" web-site. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am happy to see a thread about a interview that out team has taken :)

I will be also happy to see the source writen in the main post :)

Respect!:)

sure, no problem :)

and by the way... nice work with "Powernet Radio" web-site. ;)

The web site is based on Mambo and a template that was modified a lot to fit my taste. And you can see what we have :)

I hope you enjoy the radio! Respect!

P.S. : WE ARE LOOKING for nice people who wan't to make sets/promos/live shows on our radio and help each other populating our works! :)

P.S. : WE ARE LOOKING for nice people who wan't to make sets/promos/live shows on our radio and help each other populating our works! :)

it will be easy for you.

We have in this community, some of the best ambient artists in our portuguese trance scene. ;)

and if you are interested, next week i´ll share with you a "shaky" dj set :)

thank you :flower:

Where can we send it to???? :)

Se queres que a Vida te Sorria, que tal começares por sorrir...?!?

Gorbachov, here's the link to one chill out mix i've made. Feel free to download and play it in your radio if you like it. :)

http://elastiktribe.org/index.php?showtopic=6991

"Só os que procuram o absurdo atingem o impossível."

• 4 months later...

Brunolas, please stop do this miserable acts!!!

Don't steal my works, and don't put them as yours!

It's very awful!

Maybe you'll ban me, but I can't stand anymore and look how you steal my work!

Sorry that I'm so rude, but your acts are very very insulting to me, and of course my team!

I hope for future you'll put my name and link to radio...

Again sorry for my rudeness, hope you'll understand me...

Ambiently yours,

ZawHeR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...